Dangers of Processed Food
How many of us turn the food package and look at the listed ingredients? Companies around the world are researching, producing and selling products packaged food at an affordable cost by making it edible and tasty. Are we really concerned about the nutritional value of these products?
The dangers of packaged food are well known whether it is vegetarian or not. It has become an easy choice to buy packaged food which obviously brings a lot of convenience to our day to day life. The illnesses that we see today which did not commonly existed 50 to 100 years ago gives a little insight about what has changed from then to now.
It is important that we know more about the food that we eat. Packaged food labels are mandatory in many countries around the world but how many of us pay any attention to it. What kind if additives and preservatives are used.
Most of these ingredients are unhealthy and dangerous to our body when consumed regularly.
Processed or Packaged food health risks
Packaged food is often instantly cook-able, heated or good for straight consumption. Usually the processed food goes through machine and or chemical processing for mass production and for a longer shelf life.
Artificial or chemical substances and salt are often used for different reasons in stored food items.These substances can cause different illness and can affect our body’s overall wellness .
The following are some of the common reasons for diseases like diabetes, obesity, heart disorder & cancer:
- Added Sugar – For artificially sweetening food often extra sweeteners like sugar, concentrated fruit juice or artificial sweeteners are added.
- Artificial flavours – These are taste makers which are mostly chemical substances. MSG (mono sodium glutamate) is one of the harmful agent commonly used in food.
- Artificial Preservatives – Chemicals added in food for longer shelf life.
- Food texture – Chemicals or ingredients like corn starch is added to the food to get a particular consistency or texture.
- High in Carbohydrates – Processed carbohydrates can cause quick blood sugar and insulin in the body
- High in Trans fats – trans fats as a food additive are usually made by adding hydrogen into vegetable oil or fat. Studies have shown increased risk of heart diseases due to trans fats.
- Less Fibre in food – Often packaged food has less fibre and cause the body sugar level going up and down quickly. This result is more frequent eating for the body to maintain consistent energy level.
The following are a few tips to consider while you shop for packaged food:
- Does it contain artificial flavors or preservatives?
- Does it contain natural ingredients?
- How much trans fat or saturated fat does it have?
- Does it contain artificial sweeteners?
- Is it low in sodium (salt)?
- Does it contain MSG (Monosodium glutamate). MSG is a taste-maker salt substitute largely used in Chinese Asian cuisines
- Is it high in added sugar?
NOTE: Read and understand the ingredients mentioned in the label and see how it can cause harm to your body.