Wellness of a person is measured by the state of mental and physical health. It represents the overall health and well-being of the individual. The term wellness has been applied in many ways.
Some of the Dimensions of Wellness are:
The mind and body are not separate entities, and physical health can affect emotional wellness as well. Poor physical health can have a serious impact on our mental wellness or vice-versa. From ancient times, meditation has been the technique used to achieve the wellness of mind and body in different cultures and societies.
What is Meditation
Meditation is a technique to develop concentration, clarity, emotional positivity, and the seeing of the true nature of things. Meditation occurs when the mind is calm and silent. Regular meditation patience is nourishing and develops the ability to focus the mind to bring it to a peaceful energised state. The result is self-transformation and the understanding of life in a new way.
Meditation is a tool that helps us to look inward to discover, reinvent and help us to develop faith in our true potential. It allows us to know the emotional layers of our mind and to re-calibrate the rhythm of our life The ultimate objective of meditation is to help one to get in touch with the source of existence, and to live life according to our own wish and vision.
Some Benefits of Meditation
- Meditation reduces stress and helps to relax the body and mind
- It helps with the increased awareness of being in the present moment
- It improves emotional wellness by reducing anxiety & fear
- It improves concentration and focus of mind
- It helps with regulating the breath, blood pressure, heart rate and more
- Meditation helps to open up your mind to accept, adjust and adapt
How to start Meditation practice
Starting a meditation practice is often challenging. Bringing our focus inward is not something that we are familiar with. Our senses are outbound and we are continuously creating perceptions and judgements based on our understanding of life. It is a difficult process to break free from the thoughts and ideas that we have perceived and to let go of our emotions.
Yogis say yoga and proper food are prerequisites for meditation. It is true that physical fitness is important for meditation as the practice requires you to sit in a position for a longer period of time without feeling any physical distress. Proper relaxation of body and mind is essential to start the meditation process.
This doesn’t mean that meditation happens only when you are in cross-legged position with your eyes closed. Meditation can happen at any time when your level of alertness and awareness is high and you are feeling that blissfulness within. The practice of meditation is a tool to help train the mind to keep that level of peace and joy at its optimum without being affected by any external influence.
A few tips and techniques for meditation
- Have a cushion if you are sitting on the floor. Make sure you are buttocks are raised enough from the ground for a comfortable sitting. You can also sit on a chair if you prefer.
- If you are a beginner then start with a short duration of 10-15 minutes. Set a timer so that you don’t have to worry about time.
- After sitting comfortably, close your eyes and try to look inward. You can also try to visualise your heart as a practice for looking inward
- Keep the focus within and do not get distracted by any sounds around you
- Empty the mind by letting go of all your thoughts
- Do proper relaxed breathing with complete awareness
- Bring the mind to a stand-still and feel the peace within